On April 1, 2012 newly passed carbon monoxide detector rules went into effect in Washington State.
All sellers of residential property must install carbon monoxide detectors prior to closing. Carbon monoxide monitors must be installed in all NEW residential construction.
Between 1990 and 2005 carbon monoxide resulted in the death of over 1,000 Washington residents. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that cannot be seen or smelled and can become deadly within minutes.
It is produced by many common household gas appliances such as furnaces, clothes dryers, ranges, water heaters and fireplaces. Automobile fumes and gas-powered lawn mowers also contain carbon monoxide.
Proper furnace maintenance and installation of simple, low-cost detectors are basic steps that should be taken to ensure health and safety.