The EPA ranks indoor air quality as a top 5 public health risk. Periodic air duct cleaning helps maintain a healthy living environment.
The following questions are designed to help you determine if it is time to have your ducts professionally cleaned:
Is anyone in the home suffering from allergies?
Does anyone in the home have asthma or other respiratory ailments?
Are you constantly suffering from fatigue?
Is anyone in the home experiencing frequent headaches, nasal congestion or other sinus problems?
Is anyone complaining of dry or irritated eyes?
Do you notice a musty or stale odor while your furnace is running?
Do you find a film of dust on your furniture shortly after cleaning?
Is black soiling noticeable around your registers?
Have you noticed a significant increase in your heating bill?
The following steps are an overview of the duct cleaning process. The contractor you select should provide all of these services to deliver the best results possible.
- Inspect the entire system prior to cleaning. This includes testing the system to make sure it is operating properly.
- Remove furnace filter, wrap it in plastic and reinstall it in order to separate the supply and return sides of the system.
- Create an access hole in the ductwork on the return side.
- Connect the flexible vacuum hose to the ductwork.
- Mask off the return grill(s) to ensure a strong vacuum and increase air velocity.
- Stage the compresses air hose, air tools and brushes at the return grills.
- Start the vacuum source and check for proper negative pressure.
- Starting at the furthest grill, clean the grill and duct work with the air tools and brushes.
- Once the return side has been thoroughly cleaned, repeat steps 3 through 8 on the supply side.
- Clean the coils, blower and the rest of the furnace internals.
- If the system has been contaminated by water intrusion or smoke, sanitizers or sealants may be applied using ultra-low volume sprayers.
- After the system has been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized, all access holes are resealed and the system is started to verify proper operation.